Monday, October 5, 2015

maintenance

What this life requires is constant maintenance. Constant means ongoing, but it also means attentive, and persistent ... and serene. I leave things as they are a lot - a bit much - but I perform constant maintenance. I even gradually modify. And I tidy. Just the ordinary stuff, processing it through - the laundry, the dishes ... the cooking ... the mopping, the bath. Hauling dirt, one bucket at a time. Trimming branches here and there. Doing everything, this is also what I'm saying, properly. Drying the laundry on a line, doing the washing up by hand, polishing the plates and glasses with a cloth, boiling the kitchen linens in a big pan. Using all old style soap, made in France, from ashes and oil. There was one from Brazil ...

You will say it's nice but completely impractical. What you don't realize is that polishing plates - until they're lustrous - brings in money.