Thursday, August 13, 2015

process

This follows on the previous post, also named process.

I'm just loading up my watch list with almost whatever. I'd even say it's kind of dumb. I mean I have these incredible picks lined up, and putting stupid Tim Sykes spikers on the list. Will the list become unmanageably long? I mean, I have TONS of stocks lined up. But there is this: the way I'm developing the list, it's pretty easy to check the stocks. One thing I need to do is add some color coding. Gold for my super picks. Greenyellow for Finviz movers. We'll see what else I come up with.

The reason for saving charts, for maintaining the folders of screenshots, especially the adventures folder, which shows the interesting patterns day by day for each stock, is so you can LEARN. I'm looking at a stock that spiked upward, then has spent a few days pushing up against the top it made, without ever falling far. It's forming a flapping flag, a pennant, narrower at the end, a wedge, it's lower edge steadily rising. It's part of a big rectangle bottom. It jumped up from the bottom of the rectangle to the top of the rectangle, and now it's making that flag. Isn't it about to jump up out of that rectangle?

Well, I'm suspicious. When it was at the bottom of the rectangle, it would have been somewhat of another story. That flag, thought ... I mean, flags precede rallies ... but I'm pretty sure not always. Really, my theory is there's going to be another retracement, another move towards the bottom of the rectangle, though a very brief one. (In fact, there's something I'll look for that would predict a bigger spike, if it goes down fast and then slows down, sort of goes sideways at a low price ...)

But, what do I know? I need to save these patterns. I'm a little worried, though. Adventures is going to become a big mass of assorted charts. It would probably be a good or great thing to sort them by pattern. I've tried it before and failed, but I might be better prepared, now. I'm going to call that high, wedge shaped flag a Crown, and I'll make a folder for examples of it. If I keep watching lots of intraday patterns, maybe I'll see more of them. And, of course, I'll make a folder for big rectangle bottoms. I can add the patterns from Adventures when the results are in.

Well, the other thing is, I've started adding links to the list. So, for starters, I'm using Blogger, but what that amounts to is I'm building my list in HTML. So, at first, I was just linking the symbols to MarketWatch pages, but it's important to me to look at different length charts - 10 year, 5 year, two year, 1 year, ten day, for example. I mean, usually two, maybe three charts will do for each stock, but it's ideal, and much better, if I can pretty much instantly draw the chart I want. So, if I'm adding a stock to the watch list, I find it's spot in the list, alphabetically, type the symbol, type a space, and type something like this: <a href="" style="color:pink" target="_blank">10y</a> <a href="" style="color:pink" target="_blank">1y</a><br />.

OK, let's analyze that code. First, in Blogger, in the post editing tool you need to be in the HTML mode to add this code. If you type it in in Compose mode, it'll just display the code, when you publish the post. If you type it in in HTML mode, it'll insert the code into the HTML for the page, and a link will display, because the A tag, <a ...>...</a> creates a link. Then you go to the MarketWatch page, which is displaying, say, the ten year chart for the stock, and you copy the address from the address bar, and paste it between the parentheses after the word href=. That's all you need to do. You do need to understand that the word 10y, where it's located, between <a ...> and </a>, will display in your post, in your list. It will be pink, and you can see where that's specified, and where it says target="_blank" that tells the page to open the chart in a new tab, which is pretty important, because that will make checking the charts truly instantaneous for you. And you would not believe how much of a difference that makes.